Tuesday, January 17, 2006

My Daughter is my life.

The other day we took the new van to Dawn's daughter Shaya's birthday party and then over to the In-Laws house. We invited my In-Laws, Nick and Debbie to dinner and ended up going to Applebees.

The Applebees kid's menu is a small four page book fill with the usual drawings and such. Included is the Chilly Maze (Help the penguin "presents" find their way under the "tree"!). Don't ask me why the presents and tree are in quotations, I don't know.

Anywho, trying to entertain my four year old, Kathryn, is sometimes a little difficult. Especially when trying to hold a conversation. I pointed out the maze, showed her the beginning and the end and told her not to cross any of the walls. She sat there, tongue sticking out in concentration, and solved the maze in one try while all four of us adults watched in absolute amazement. She had never worked on a maze before.

Needless to say, I am a very proud father who has carried that four-page kids menu with the solved maze around for the last three days showing everyone I knew at work what a genius my daughter is. I have it posted in my cubicle and I wanna get it framed.

It's really amazing how emotional I get with my kids. Everytime I see her, she smiles up at me and I just wanna hold her close, kiss her, and tell her how much I love her. Fortunately she's young enough now that she hugs and kisses me back. I dread the day when it becomes uncool for her to show me how much she loves me.

Kathryn's word for everything that she likes is beautiful.
"Mommy, Chicago (the musical) is beautiful!"

I've been trying to teach her to use the word "cool" instead. Ya, I'm definately a guy. The other day, after a long day of playing with the kids and Sable, our black Lab mix, we decided to relax.

Kat was in the kitchen while the kids and I settled down to find something on TV. Kathryn wanders into the kitchen to help mommy and they start talking. Atually, we all participated in the conversation, even Drake, who at two, doesn't have much to say yet.

Kat calls me a dork and Kathryn says,"Daddy's not a dork, Daddy's beautiful and sweet!"

Of course Kat said, "No honey. Daddy's a big dork."

"No Mommy! Daddy's wonderful and sweet!"

She really got pissed too! Kat relented of course and agreed that Daddy was indeed sweet at times but added that he would be much sweeter if he took out the trash...

Daddy's little stone heart had turned into a big glob of soppy gooeyness by this time so he gave Kathryn a watery-eyed hug and took out the trash. I love my little girl so much! I love being a father.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

Awwww! Underneath all that sarcastic, and opinionated ranting there really is a soft pile of mush just for "Daddy's little girl"

I'm amazed that she finished that maze. Usually we have to Help Alex. I'd be very proud too.

17 January, 2006 09:01  
Blogger Keko said...

I'm still gushing over it. Kathryn does seem to pluck daddy's heartstrings on a daily basis. I think every parent has a favorite child. Mine is Kathryn and Kat's is Drake.

I'm starting to get all teary-eyed. I'm gonna ruin my rep as a mean heartless jerk if I'm not careful...

17 January, 2006 09:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home