Monday, March 20, 2006

A Game of Thrones Review

So I just finished A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Let me pause for just a moment to say, "wow".

When I write or when I run roleplaying games, I'm well known for being... somewhat mean... to my players and their characters. I think the term that my players use most is "cruel" although "evil" and "ass" are close runner ups.

Martin puts me to shame. Within the first 50 pages or so he introduces us readers to an incestual relationship between the queen and her twin brother, their plot to get rid of the king, and then they throw an eight year old son of their host, the Lord of Winterfell, out of the window while the king is off hunting with his best friend, Eddard Stark of Winterfell.

I admit that the book was kinda hard to get into. Slow going, to say the least. But once it got moving it didn't wanna stop.

I just started on the second book, A Clash of Kings, last night. So far, it is keeping up the promise that the first book showed.

I think that my favourite characters are Jon Snow, the bastard on the Black Wall. Jon's half-sister Araya, and Tyrion Lannister, the dwarf.

Jon reminds me of what it's like to grow up fending for yourself while living at home. Like him, I always felt cut off and unloved. Like him, I was bitter, but didn't show it.

Araya is my free spirit. I was the same way when I was her age and I never grew out of it. I was older than she was when she started learning how to swordfight, but like her I was naturally fast both mentally and physically and I loved to swordfight.

Tyrion is my mouth, my brain, and my sense of humor. Unlike him though, I never love someone blindly. If you are evil and a jerk, I will leave you to fend for yourself.
If you wanna know what I'm talking about, then read the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home