Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Fight Night 3 review for Xbox

So my live-in brother, Jon, brought home a copy of Fight Night 3 for the Xbox which he had borrowed from a friend. Fight Night 3 is a boxing game. Jon LOVES boxing, his hero is Muhammad Ali.

Of course Jon challenged me to a match as soon as I walked into the door. Knowing nothing really of boxing, and never even hearing of this game before, I picked the hairiest guy that I could find. There were no stats or anything else to go off of and that was as good a reason as any.

I can't remember the name of the guy that I picked, something like Duarta. Anyways, Duarta was a welterweight with a mean punch. I think that Welterweight is the second weakest or lightest class that you can be in boxing.

Jon picked Muhammad Ali, arguably the greatest boxer of all time. And a heavy weight, the strongest, heaviest class in boxing. Jerk...

It wouldn't have mattered nearly as much if the controls weren't so... difficult. I usually pick someone who is small but extremely fast in fighting games anyways.

The controls on this game are horrible though. The right analog stick controls all the punches. Left and right punches. The buttons don't do much of anything and the left analog stick, combined with the left trigger, allows the fighter to duck and weave impressively. There is an option to change the punch controls to the buttons, but you lose the ability to throw most punches.

The worst part of the game is how your fighter gets stunned when his opponent blocks a punch. This is most noticeable right after a haymaker is thrown. Your fighter just stands there and gets hit one or two times before he snaps put of it.

Another weird but annoying thing is that you cannot knock someone out with a punch. I have seen real boxing (limited) and real fighting (several years of UFC) and I know for a fact that a powerful punch will lay someone out cold, even if it's the first punch of the fight. There is no accounting for this in the game. All you can do is set the number of times in a match that a person can get knocked out before they are KOd.

I watched Jon completely pummel a guy for four rounds. The guy barely got a punch off and fell three times in the fourth round to lose the fight. The guy was dogmeat after the first round, his life bar was non-existent, and the only thing that saved him was the fact that Jon couldn't get a good punch within the short time that the guy was staggering around waiting to be knocked over.

Anyways, Jon and I went heads a couple of times and he whooped me pretty good. It was o.k. fun in a frustrating sorta way. I don't mind losing, but not when I can't play the game. Do you know what I mean?

My friend Charles will play me on something like Halo or some racing game which he has been playing and practicing on constantly. I'll pick it up and get STOMPED. Where's the fun in that?

Football is another game that we both love. I play it pretty regularly and I'm pretty good. But Charles is much better than I am. When we play, he insists on playing a good team like the Broncos or the Patriots. I can't beat him and he knows it. Why doesn't he pick a sorry team and make it more challenging? Because he wants to win.

I used to play my brother-in-law Mike before he moved out to Indiana. I beat Mike, rather badly, most of the time. But I picked the sorriest teams in the game while he picked good teams like his favorites, the Colts. This made the games much closer and much more fun. There's no fun without a challenge, but everyone needs to have a realistic chance of winning too.

My point is, Fight Night 3 sucked butt. It's not even worth renting. Better alternatives include Def Jam: Fight for New York, Tekken, Soul Caliber, and Dead or Alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home