Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My Little Brother

My brother Jon lived in Canada last year with my mom. He didn't wanna go back so he got a job at 7-11 and made arrangements to move in with my sister Jenn and her room mate, another sister Holly's ex-boyfriend Steve.



Jon was to pay $200 in rent per month and all he has are 2 bags of clothes, a bench press, a ghetto blaster style stereo, and a few small boxes.



Once Jon tried moving in Steve told him that he couldn't bring the weight set or stereo and would have to put them in storage. He also told Jon that he couldn't get a bed but would have to sleep on the sofa instead. He tried giving Jon a list of chores as well.



Steve was so mean (I don't know what Steve actually said but Jon went home crying and that's completely unlike him) that my mom called me and asked me if I could help.



Actually, she called me and asked me how I'd like making $200 a month until July. I asked her whose legs she wanted me to break. I guess we were on different pages ;-)



Anyways, my wife and I agreed to let Jon move in. He will pay us the $200 a month, I don't care how he gets the money as long as it's legal and on time, and will sleep on the foldout bed that we have on our couch. His weight set fits nicely in the dinning room as does his boombox.



We do have to get a temporary armoir to store his clothes in, but that's the extent of our involvement really.



So far he's a great room mate. He's quiet, nice, rarely stays around, and constantly helps out around the house with the dishes and trash. Kat's starting to think that she married the wrong brother, I think ;-)



The only problem that we have is his smoking. But he does it outside and washes his hiands once he comes back in. Everything else is minor, more annoyances than anything else. Like putting the toilet lid down and keeping the bathroom doors closed so that the dog doesn't have a hayday in their while were not looking.



I really look forward to getting to know Jon a lot better. Because of the age difference (almost 13 years) we were never close. He had a lot of problems growing up. For example, he started smoking, chewing, and pot all when he was around sixteen or so. His friends are less than savory and he's been homeschooled most of his life and is socially stunted as a result.



Besides all those setbacks, he is definately turning out to be a man that I can respect. He is polite, has a good sense of humor, and respects other people and their things. Hopefully he continues on this path. Only time will tell I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home