Friday, April 07, 2006

Dear Sifolis,

You're right, I was a bit petty and immature in my last post. I apologize. I'll try to tone down the target booger slinging and write like a grown-up from now on.

The Prince and the Art of War, along with the Book of Five Rings, are all variations of the same thing. Tactics, strategy, dominance, and disciplined thought.


Another thing that you should understand, I also write solely from work. I get interrupted every few seconds by calls which is why most of my writing is so disjointed and random. I do not even own a home computer. I do not have access to any writing tools other than Word Notebook, which does not include such niceties as Spell Check, grammer check, a dictionary, or a thesaurus. Your constant references to me using those tools is very complimentry, but I thought that you should know.


Any communication that is written is literary, ie a written form of communication. As Gamegrene is solely a written forum, that means that it is in fact a literary forum. If Gamegrene could be accessed by cam, phone, or some other form of communication, then it would cease to be a literary forum and just become a discussion forum for roleplaying. There are no other sides to gamegrene.


The articles posted on Gamegrene are written as advice or for entertainment purposes. Occasionally, articles are written reviewing something or ranting about something that upsets you or that you would like to see different. Most of my articles fall into the last two catagories.


I'd like to take a moment to point out that this is by far the most humorist writing that I've seen from you so far. "Cock Goblin" is something that I will definately use in my next roleplaying session!


As for books...


While King's writing may seem slop or pulp fiction, his use of the english language is superior (he used to teach after all), his Dark Tower series is great, and his book on writing is one of the best out there. (Yes I read self improvement books including books that give advice on how to write).


I pick different things to learn about when I'm bored at work. I first heard about Sun Tzu and Miyamoto Musashi while studying up on Japanese culture and history.The Art of War is a required manual for Japanese business men and I have read dozens of references to the book when reading about Japanese business practices.


Miyamoto Musashi was Japan's greatest swordsman. I read a short bio on him in the Gurps Martial Arts supplement (Gurps fills their supplements with a lot of accurate information on historical figures which is one of the main reasons that I like them so much). I thought him interesting enough to look him up and was blown away by what I learned about him. I went out and bought the Book of Five Rings (which I later learned was another required bit o' reading for the business inclined asian of Japanese descent). It was a letter written as advice by Musashi to his best friend's son detailing Musashi's philosophy, sword fighting techniques, and other stuff.


I first heard of Machiavelli by way of people comparing the Prince and the Art of War. I thought that he was interesting and intelligent, but not as good as Sun Tzu.


I made a point of explaining this because you seem set that I am a typical LARPer (who are mentally deranged losers with WAY to much time on their hands with nothing to do and no friends to do it with, but that's just my humble opinion). I am a table-top "geek", I must admit. In the words of Maddox, I am the nerd leader, mostly as a result of my constant GM status (though I've been trying for years to get someone to run a game for me. It's finally happened and I am now learning what it's like to be on the other side of the table for once. I highly recommend it as it's opened my eyes a couple of times).


I am not a "dick master". I am a GM, which may amount to the same thing on occasion, but not always.


I've never heard of Beckett or Hunter S. T. (?) and I outgrew Burroughs by 4th grade. One book that I should recommend is the Walking Drum by Louis La'Mour (sp). It's a bit slow and preachy at times, but it's packed with tons of practical information about life in Europe in the 12th century. Another book of similar scope is Shogun by James Clavelle.


As for you lacking the ability to see/judge my cute/funny level correctly I have two possible salutions.


1- Stop being the all-mighty-I-am-right-you-are-wrong guy online. its hollow are silly when its done without vulgarity or slap-stickism. Seriously, leave entertainment to the jokers, not the math teachers.


Dude, I tried. The problem is that I am like this in the real world as well. I don't change personalities just because I'm online.

2-Go gay (gayer), think of me naked and then wait for the hard-on. if it don't arive within an hour...you need medical help with you thang. Cus I'm dead sexy, you monkey.

I tried to help you here to. I tried closing my eyes and picturing you and all I got was a skinny white kid with a sideways hat, gold chains, some guady rings, pants that almost reaches the bottom of a pimply raunchy smelling ass, and a shaved monkey sitting on your shoulder with a thin gold plated chain attaching it to your wrist. The monkey cringes whenever you turn your attention to it and looks suicidal when not outright terrified.

The whole picture screamed Butt Pirate Ass Clown Poser with pet S&M monkey. No, my best friend never even twitched. Sorry, but I guess that either you're not dead sexy, or I'm not gay. You're call...

anyway...back to work...thanks for playing, you get a free version of my home-game.

As I recall, in one of your other posts you specifically stated that I would never be privilaged enough to see your home game. Now you change your mind. Does this mean that were engaged? ;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

LOL, Calamar have you ever heard the talk show host Glenn Beck? He's semi-political, and you probably wouldn't agree with half of what he said, but you sound just like him. He puts on a tape of some person he wants to make fun of, lets it play for a few sentences, then responds to it in the same dry sarcastic humor you display here. It's very funny.
Incidentially, why do you continue to post on gamegrene?

07 April, 2006 11:37  
Blogger Keko said...

I've never heard of Glen Black, maybe you could introduce me to some of his stuff.

As for Gamegrene...

Writing on a blog is pretty private. Outside of you, my wife, a few friends, and Sifolis, I doubt that anyone comes here.

Gamegrene allows me to interact with people from all over the world. They give me fresh ideas and teach me new ways of looking at things.

In return, I give them advice or rant and rave about things. A lot of people read my stuff and comment on it which pleases me greatly.

I learn a lot and hopefully they do as well.

Besides, I get to meet people like Sifolis there ;-)

07 April, 2006 13:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home